About Me

My photo
I am a Junior at Lebanon Valley College majoring in psychology. I love traveling and during the 2010 Fall semester I will be studying in Perugia, Italy. "Life is not measured by the breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away."

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Free Chocolate and the Final Days in Perugia!

Ciao!

Sorry I haven't posted in awhile, I have been so busy writing my final papers and gearing up for my final exams!  I can't believe it but my Italian final is this Friday!  After my exam I will be done with Italian.  The rest of my finals are next Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday and then I head home next Friday December 17th!  I say it every post but I really cannot believe I will be leaving Perugia in only 10 days.

We had our re-entry meeting about a week ago and our staff members told us to start thinking about going home.  I know this might sound odd but if we start thinking about it now it won't be so hard once the day arrives.  All of my roommates and friends have already thought of ways to keep in touch with one another.  My roommate Jessica and I are going to write letter to each other once we get back to the States.  I am writing the first letter and I am giving it to her the morning we leave.  My friend Breanne and I are going to do the same thing.  I think this will be a wonderful way to stay in touch and I can't wait to write real letters to my friends once I get back home!

But the reason for this post is to talk about our trip to the Perugina chocolate factory last Wednesday with our Italian class.  A group of about 50 Umbra students went to the chocolate factory for a factory tour and free chocolate tasting.  We took a bus to the chocolate factory which is about 40 minutes away from the center of Perugia.  Once we arrived at the factory we saw the most beautiful sight, a table full of free chocolate!  We all went nuts eating a lot of different kinds of Perugina chocolate.  They had full bars of chocolate, Baci (which I will explain later), and little assorted chocolates as well.  It was a chocolate lovers dream come true!

After stuffing ourselves with free chocolate we watched a video explaining the process of chocolate making.  No, there was no free ride like there is in Hershey, Pa!  Instead, we watched this video which was completely in Italian!  This surely put our Italian language skills to the test.  I got most of the video but thank goodness for the pictures or I surely would have been lost.

After watching the video we saw the world's largest Baci!  A Baci (means kiss in Italian) is a small chocolate candy with a hazelnut on top.  Perugina is famous for these little candies and what makes them special is inside each one is a quote in 5 different languages.  Most of the quotes are about love and they are really cute.  But don't worry everyone because I am bringing lots of Baci home to America so you will have the chance to taste it.  Trust me, they are so good!  But the Baci we saw in the factory was the world's largest, it was made for the Eurochocolate festival in 2003 and it was chopped apart and given to the crowd at the festival.  The one in the factory is a plastic model but it is still pretty cool!
 We then took a factory tour which was in Italian also.  The tour was amazing, we weren't allowed to take photographs but I didn't mind as you can't take a tour like this in Hershey.  We walked along an enclosed catwalk above the factory and looked down on the workers making the chocolate bars, Baci, and other delicious candies.  It was really cool to see how these workers make all of the chocolate.

After our tour we went back to the free chocolate table where we found they had restocked it while we were on the tour!  Needless to say this was my favorite day of Italian class :)  Here are some pictures from the chocolate factory....
My roommate Jessica with the free chocolate table....
100 years of Perugina chocolate....
Now it's time to study and prepare for my last presentation this Thursday.  I am ready for finals to be over but I am not ready to leave just yet.  But I am trying to focus on all of the fun activities in the coming days.  Tonight, we have our final free pizza night from Umbra, this Friday a few of us are going to Gubbio to see the Christmas lights, and Saturday my roommates and I are going back to Cortona to eat the best meal we had our very first week here!  It'll be a busy 10 days but I am just making every day count!  
See you all in only 10 days :)

Italian word of the post:
    cioccolato - chocolate

Morgan :)

No comments:

Post a Comment